Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3

I have never felt so unprepared for a shopping experience as I did today. I went into Trader Joe's thinking it would be easy to find GF options, but I found myself pacing the aisles with 4 bags of brown rice pasta in my cart for at least 20 minutes. After taking a breather in the cereal aisle I refocused and dug through each label of things that seemed promising and I ended up adding:

Mac & Cheese (VERY excited about this!!)
Cassava Chips (newest addiction...SO much better than regular potato chips. Sweet/salty/garlic-y flavor)
Edamame Crackers
Seaweed Snack (which are supposedly all the hype)
Peanut Flour (I'm planning on using this for breading)

I can't say I am not disappointed, especially when I went to their website and found a whole list of GF products (http://www.traderjoes.com/pdf/lists/list-no-gluten.pdf). Needless to say, I will be printing out and laminating this list for next time.

Thinking I would only go to the local hispanic grocery store for veggies, I did not have many expectations when I walked into it. I was pleasantly surprised! Apparently, Central America loves alternative "flours" and sell anything from Sweet Potato to Morro Seed flour. Since I do not know anything about Morro flour, I left that behind; but I did pick up:

Sweet Potato Flour
Potato Starch
Soy and Rice Flour Cereal (I'm assuming this is more like Cream of Wheat)

I'm on the hunt for chicken/tomato bouillon still, since the Knorr one I used has caramel color which is banned from my diet. I'm thinking at this point to make my own by combining spices and throwing in some tomato paste to what I cook.

Very overwhelming day, but now I know what to expect and what to arm myself with the next time I shop...but how I wish things were better labeled :/

No comments:

Post a Comment