Saturday, January 1, 2011

Restrictions

My first thoughts when I decided to go gluten-free went to everything I was going to have to cut from my diet...Noah's Bagels...candy bars...chips...Starbucks...and I went into mini-panic mode. In doing research I learned about the specifics I would need to eliminate and what I could replace them with.

Below is a list of obvious and hidden sources of gluten to avoid:

Wheat flourRye flour
Flavourings (suspect even if it says natural)Fillers
Edible or Food Starch (Maize starch is fine)Seasonings (suspect)
BinderRusk
BranWheatgerm
Wheat proteinWholegrain
ThickeningWheat starch
Glucose syrup (often made from wheat)Malt
Matzo mealSpelt (an old form of wheat)
Brown rice syrup (often made from barley)imitation seafood
HVP (Hydrolyzed vegetable protein)TVP (Textured vegetable protein)
Caramel colorDextrin

Here's the list of substitutions to begin with:

Cornstarch
Cornmeal
Potato Starch
Potato Flour
Rice Flour
Oat Flour (only if clearly labeled gluten-free)
Millet
Xanthan Gum

As I begin preparing GF foods I will provide more information on what each substitution does and how they work. Comparing the two lists is a bit daunting especially when I think of the "goodies" I will be missing out on. However, taking on the challenge and finally feeling healthy is enough of a motivator to use each substitution (and come up with my own techniques) to continue with the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment